Saturday, January 5, 2008

Eating in the state dining room

This was Shoshie's poetry choice yesterday.
I, Too, Sing America by Langston Hughes
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.









This is the picture that came to my mind when she was reading it. Langston Hughes died in 1967. It took 40 more years for this. I know black candidates have had primary success in the past, from Shirley Chisholm to, most successfully, Jesse Jackson. But this time, there just may be a black first family.

While I have some reservations about Obama politically, I would not be unhappy with our breaking the color barrier to the White House. I wouldn't mind our breaking the gender barrier, either, and I am no Hilary fan. In fact it feels a little weird to be supporting a white male candidate in these times. But I think he is the most progressive and that is where I am. PRM

No comments: