Sunday, June 14, 2009

This book is a tummler.

At least in the Yiddish meaning JP has taught me. A troublemaker, something that calls one to action.

I picked up Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver about 15 months ago off the library donation sales shelf. Five dollars for the hardback, a real find I thought. It was right before we left on our trailer vacation so I packed it to read. But, as seems to happen each year, I never got to it and over the trip the book vibrated to the back of the closet, to be unnoticed when the trailer was emptied. I found it this spring and, once again, planned to read it while traveling. And again that didn't happen.

However I brought it back into the house this time and it was the first book I picked up after we returned. I'm so glad I did. It was a pleasant read and profoundly thought provoking. In reality I think it just organized my own thinking about this subject.

You can't read this book and then go grocery shopping at WalMart without a twinge of guilt or self-reproach. Especially at this time of year when the local farmers will be harvesting squash and cucumbers soon.

I'm glad I planted some vegetables this year, too. In years past I had a large garden and canned many tomatoes, tomato sauce, and pickles. This garden isn't likely to produce enough to can. Next year, when we won't be traveling in May but September or October, I can have a larger garden.

In the meantime I can buy at the farmer's market and research Community Sponsored Agriculture, CSAs, in our area for next year. PRM

No comments: