Sunday, September 28, 2008

This is a re-post from January

and I kept thinking of it as I watched Obama and the crowd.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Eating in the state dining room

This was Shoshie's poetry choice yesterday.
I, Too, Sing America by Langston Hughes
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.


This is the picture that came to my mind when she was reading it. Langston Hughes died in 1967. It took 40 more years for this. I know black candidates have had primary success in the past, from Shirley Chisholm to, most successfully, Jesse Jackson. But this time, there just may be a black first family.

At that time I was supporting someone else and Obama's still not as progressive as I like. But for now, he is my candidate. And I am proud to support him. PRM

No comments: