Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Hummus recipe

This is a very tasty but standard recipe from Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine.

2 c cooked chickpeas
1/4 c bean liquid
1/4 c lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons chopped parsely
2 tablespoons olive oil, optional

Puree chickpeas, adding liquid to achieve a smooth, creamy puree. Beat in lemon juice, garlic and salt; then, gradually add tahini to form a thick, light paste. Let stand for at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsely and, if desired, drizzle olive oil over the surface just before serving.

My notes because I haven't followed this recipe religiously or measured anything in years -
1. Go ahead and add the salt. I made it with less salt many times and it just doesn't taste right.
2. I add a dollop of olive oil and blend in when making it. I am expected to bring this to my book club every month and someone would always stir in the olive oil, thinking, I guess, that I had forgotten to do so. So now I just blend it in and, may or may not, pour some on top.
3. I use canned beans but have found that Progresso brand beans are much better than the Harris Teeter or Bush's.

I was surprised to find this cookbook still in print. There is a 2nd edition from 2006 which I must consider getting. JP bought this copy almost 20 years ago and it is food-stained and falling apart a bit, but well-used and well-loved. PRM

No comments: