Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tuesday night

I am going to the Bookmarks Festival event, A Conversation with Geraldine Brooks. I wanted to buy the premier ticket for a good chance to meet her but I was afraid JP would be home too late for us to get there in time for the 5:30 reception.

For my birthday last year, my MIL gave me an Amazon gift certificate and my first purchase was the recently published People of the Book. I did not want to wait for the paperback. I had just read and loved Foreign Correspondent about her growing up in Australia. Like me, Geraldine Brooks felt an early affinity for Jews and Judaism, and, like me, that resulted in conversion and marriage to a Jew, to living a Jewish life.

I am excited. I'm not really a fan of celebrities but I am drawn to Geraldine Brooks. I hope I get to meet her. PRM