Friday, March 7, 2008

The joke's over. Bring back the Constitution.

So says the bumper sticker on the back of my car.

I have been quite distressed by the infringement on our constitutional rights by the current regime and the absolute lack of outcry by the public. So my teens and I are now among the, no doubt few, Americans who have actually read the Constitution and all the amendments. We have been doing this for the last 2 weeks, reading it in chunks and discussing. It has been enlightening. The kids always bring such fascinating, thoughtful comments to the table when we do things like this.

These are some of the resources we are using

1. The real thing, such as this one, The Constitution of the United States. There are many versions online and I cannot find the one I used but I chose one to print out and write on.

2. This book, The Meaning of the Constitution by Angela Holder. JP gave this to me a year or more ago. I read the Constitution and the commentary in this book to help me open the discussions. It was from about 1997 so some of the new issues that come up are not considered. LOTS of examples.




3. I love Russell Freedman books and that includes this one.





4. Several Cobblestone magazines including "Voting Rights", "The Balance of Power" and "The Congress".

5. The following website http://www.southwestern.cc.il.us/adultbasiced/constitution/index.htm.

6. And this one which is not complete but the Constitution page has some good material.
http://www.homeschoolpolitics.com/constitution.htm

We aren't quite through but this is a start. PRM

No comments: