Saturday, May 24, 2008

Grand Canyon

We are back in the land of WiFi. I researched the weather of the places we were going so we would pack appropriately but, in seeing the monthly averages of 70, I guess I overlooked the possibility of days that could be 20 degrees less than average. And sleet and snow. We had snow on the rim of the Grand Canyon Wednesday morning. Then Thursday was a long travel day with intermittent rain, sleet and snow. We set up for the night in the the dark with a cold mixture of the three pelting us. And late yesterday, after a very few bouts of light rain but a high temperature of 55, we were pelted by snow and sleet as we put up camp again. Enough, already. We are out of clean warm clothing and lucky if we have dry stinky clothing. JP had a fire Wednesday night and I keep smelling it every time I put on my hoodie.

This was my 3rd visit to the Grand Canyon but it was no less majestic for the familiarity. When I first walked up to the rim, I had a momentary sensation that the view was a backdrop. Then my eyes adjusted to the depth and width of the scene. We took a million pictures but when I look at them, it is hard to see the depth of beauty, the true awesomeness.The canyon is 277 miles long, ranges in width from 4 to 18 miles and attains a depth of more than a mile. It's hard to do it justice with a camera. The last 2 pictures were taken at dusk. PRM

No comments: